Diva Book Review

Diva

by Daisy Goodwin

Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Ginasbookreport Rating: ⭐️⭐️.5
Genre: Literature / Historical Fiction
Read This If You Love: Maria Callas


“…but in the end, we all fall silent.”

Diva is an historical fiction novel about the story of real-life opera singer Maria Callas. Callas is said to have one of the most beautiful voices ever, but her life off the stage was an opera fit for a diva as well. From her dramatic childhood during the war and her complex relationships with her mother and sister, to her long-running relationship with Aristotle Onassis, Callas led a fascinating life. Unfortunately, Diva somehow falls short in entertaining the reader, IMHO. The book reads more like a biography than a fiction novel that uses a real-life person and events to center around a larger plot. For instance, The Rose Code was set against Bletchley Circle and had many characters who existed in our world. However, there was a central event that The Rose Code addressed. Because Diva just follows Callas life, there was no climax of a story. I hate to say it, but I was bored. Even went so far as to tell my husband that when I finished the book, I was stiiiiilllll waiting for something to happen. Goodwin is the author behind the book and PBS series Victoria, which I LOVED. Maybe I just didn’t have as much interest in Callas to carry me through and you will feel differently.





Comments