The Bat

The Bat

by Jo Nesbo

Publisher: Vintage Crime/Black Lizard Vintage Books, a division of Random House, Inc.
Ginasbookreport Rating: ⭐️⭐️
Genre: Mystery / Thriller / Suspense
Read This If You Love: Michael Connelly Bosch series


I typically like Nordic Noir and I’ve read such wonderful things about Jo Nesbo’s Snowman. I decided to start with book one in his Harry Hole series by reading The Bat. Unfortunately, I really didn’t like the book, Harry, or the writing style at all. As they say, “It’s just not for me.” I did finish the book, so it did earn that second star, although I think I only made it through because I read it partially via audiobook and partially paperback.

So, what were my issues with the book? It leans on all the male detective tropes that drive me a bit crazy: recovering/relapsing alcoholic, tragic love life in past, sleeping way through women tangentially involved in cases, massive trauma that has “changed them,” and lots of “manly man” gotta fight scenes. It all just feels cliche an unoriginal. The longer I’m away from the book, the less I like it.

What about you? Have you tried a series others love and found it wasn’t for you? Any series that you love and are defensive of when others don’t enjoy them?




Comments