An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good / An Elderly Lady Must Not Be Crossed

An Elderly Lady Is Up to Know Good / An Elderly Lady Must Not Be Crossed

by Helene Tursten & Translated by Marlaine Delargy

Publisher: Soho Crime
Ginasbookreport Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Genre: Cozy Mystery / Mystery / Humor
Read This If You Love: Fans of the Thursday Murder Club series / Fans of dark humor

“Memories rise to the surface. That’s what happens when you get older.”

In these two An Elderly Lady books, we meet Maud…an elderly lady of 88 who isn’t the stereotypical octogenarian you find in mystery novels. Nope. Maud has preferences for her life and damn whoever gets in the way of what she believes. Maud is a retired teacher who is content living in her apartment and traveling the world. That’s what the world sees, or perhaps they don’t notice her at all. Their mistake! She might be “elderly,” but she is DEFINITELY up to no good. 

An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good is the first collection of short stories and you will quickly be gasping at Maud’s actions. If you are like me, you will also be bursting with inappropriate laughter at the dark humor of it all. My one big criticism of the first book is that the stories are printed out of the order they were originally published. I found this perplexing as a choice and it was also confusing when the stories don’t match up. An Elderly Lady Must Not Be Crossed is much more linear with slightly more connected events and I enjoyed it even more than the first book. We learn more about Maud’s upbringing and life events as a younger woman. 

“Certain problems have only one solution. That’s just the way it is.”

I really enjoyed the extended story about Maud’s adventure in South Africa. Years ago I had the great good luck to get to travel there. Her descriptions transported me back to my own travels and safari (minus the crime aspect of Maud’s story). 

One of my favorite photos from my trip.








Comments