The Villa

The Villa

by Rachel Hawkins

Publisher: Macmillan Audio

Ginasbookreport Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Genre: Mysteries/Thrillers
Read This If You Love: Lucy Foley / Ruth Ware / Lisa Jewell

And somewhere in the universe a pair of scissors snaps, sealing his fate. - Mary

Does a house remember? When Chess invites Emily on a summer retreat to a villa in Italy, she jumps at the chance to reset her life. Maybe this will be good for her after so much turmoil and will help her write that next novel? However, this isn’t just any house, it is a villa that is notorious for what happened there in the 70s. But what DID happen in the 70s, and what is really happening now? 

Tucked behind another beautiful Rachel Hawkins book cover lies a suspenseful tale. The Villa is woven across two timeframes and multiple art mediums. Many reviews compare this book to those of Lucy Foley and Ruth Ware. I wholeheartedly agree and this was by far my favorite of the author’s books. Fans of true crime, pop culture, and podcasts will find lots of content that has a vague familiarity. This made the story even more intriguing to me. (Be sure to stay tuned at the end to hear from the author herself about what influenced the story.) The way Hawkins pulled the threads of the events together was wildly entertaining. Put this one on your list for a beach or poolside read. 

This was a book that I read via audiobook. At first, I was a little apprehensive that the audio medium was going to make the timelines hard to follow, but that quickly fell away and I settled into the story. The section covering a podcast episode was made even more vibrant and realistic as the audio performers put just the right tone on the written words. I may have laughed and rolled my eyes during this section, just like I do when I come across a podcast with those same types of hosts.  



Comments